About Thrale Almshouse
The Thrale Almshouse and Relief in Need Charity has historic connections within the Ancient Parish of Streatham (including Tooting, Balham, Streatham, parts of Brixton Tulse Hill and West Norwood) stretching back to the 1580s.
From these roots emerged the aims of the present charitable organisation - to provide Almshouses for women over 60 and to provide Relief in Need for local people. The charity was named after the Thrale family. The original almshouses were founded in 1832 by the daughters of Henry Thrale, a wealthy local landowner and businessman and located on Streatham High Road. These were demolished and replaced in the 1930's by a new estate of ten homes on Polworth Rd.
This site underwent a recent major redevelopment retaining eight of the original 1930s buildings which were upgraded and extended. Two blocks of fit for purpose apartments were added creating high quality dwellings placed around a lovely central garden; and providing homes for 18 women.
The new site was opened in 2015 launching a new phase in the long history of Thrale Almshouses.