History of Thrale
The charity has historic connections with the Ancient Parish of Streatham stretching back to the 1580s. The current Polworth Road site, owned by the Thrale Almshouse and Relief in Need charity, is named after the Thrale family.The almshouses were founded in 1832 by the daughters of Henry Thrale, a wealthy landowner and businessman.
The original almshouses were located on Streatham High Road, however these were replaced in the 1930's by a new estate of eight houses at the current site on Polworth Road. A further two homes were added later, making ten in all.
Eight of the original 1930s buildings have undergone a major redevelopment during 2014-2015 and are complemented by new fit for purpose extensions and two new blocks of apartments creating a total of 17 high quality dwellings for women.
The new and returning residents will move in during the summer of 2015 and so begins the next phase of the long history of Thrale Almshouses.