We are Looking for Two New Trustees
The Thrale Almshouse and Relief in Need Charity run almshouses for women over 60 in Streatham and makes donations to good causes in the local area. Our aim is to foster local communities that are resilient and sustainable; creating good places in which to live and grow older.
We are a small organisation, run by six volunteer trustees from the local community, supported by an executive officer who works for the charity a couple of days a month. We are however, well endowed, with a £2m fund which dates back to the Thrale family in the 18th century and even further back. We have engaged a managing agent to run the Almshouses on a day to day basis on our behalf.
This is an exciting time for the charity; we completed a major redevelopment of our almshouses in 2015 and our small grants programme is flourishing. In the next phase of our development, we want to foster better links and partnerships with other organisations across our local area, which spreads from Tooting and Balham in the west, across the southern half of Lambeth, to Dulwich in the east.
We are looking for new trustees to join our Board, including someone with housing management or wider housing association/almshouse experience. We are looking for people who are passionate about their local area and ideally involved in other community activities there. We are looking for people who can commit to quarterly meetings and other activities in between. Most of all, we are looking for someone who is enthusiastic and keen to get stuck in.
Closing date: 30th November 2018
Background, key responsibilities and duties
Board of Trustees
Our current Board has six members. We are looking to recruit new Board members, including someone who can lead on housing management issues to join us at a time when we are consolidating and strengthening our work in building the community in our Almshouses in Polworth Road, and expanding our support for the local community.
We are particularly looking for new members who bring skills and experience in any of the following areas:
- Housing development and management
- Community engagement
- Grant making
- Financial management
At present the Board meets quarterly in early evening in Brixton.
Thrale Almshouse and Relief in Need has appointed a local housing association, Housing for Women, to act as Managing Agent on our behalf. Housing for Women provide housing management, resident support and financial service under the terms of an agreed Management Agreement which is reviewed annually
Board Members Key Responsibilities
- To ensure that Thrale Almshouse and Relief in Need
- Complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations,
- Pursues its objects as defined in its governing document,
- Uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objectives.
- To contribute actively to the Board of Trustees’ role in giving firm strategic direction, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the vision and values of Thrale
- To promote, communicate and extend the engagement of Thrale in the area that makes up the ancient parish of Streatham
- To use your influence to raise the profile of Thrale
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation.
- To ensure the financial stability of the organisation and ensure the organisation operates within a sound financial framework.
- To protect and manage the property of the organisation and to ensure the proper investment of its funds.
As a Charity our Trustee Roles are voluntary. Out of Pocket and Travel expenses will be paid.